Practicum: Journal Entry
Practicum: Journal Entry
· Develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy*
· Evaluate the efficacy of therapeutic approaches for clients*
· Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric
In a formal paper of 1,000-1,250 words you will discuss the work of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Committee Initiative on the Future of Nursing and the Institute of Medicine research that led to the IOM report, “Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.” Identify the importance of the IOM “Future of Nursing” report related to nursing practice, nursing education and nursing workforce development. What is the role of state-based action coalitions and how do they advance goals of the Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action?
Explore the Campaign for Action webpage (you may need to research your state’s website independently if it is not active on this site): http://campaignforaction.org/states
Review your state’s progress report by locating your state and clicking on one of the six progress icons for: education, leadership, practice, interpersonal collaboration, diversity, and data. You can also download a full progress report for your state by clicking on the box located at the bottom of the webpage.
Select a client whom you observed or counseled that suffers from a disorder related to trauma. Then, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
· Describe the client (without violating HIPAA regulations) and identify any
pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
· Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for this client.
· Explain whether any of the therapeutic approaches in this week’s Learning
Resources would be effective with this client. Include expected outcomes based
on these therapeutic approaches. Support your approach with evidence-based
· Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling this client.
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Chapter 13, “Stabilization for Trauma and Dissociation” (pp. 469–508)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Ochberg, F. (2012). Psychotherapy for chronic PTSD [Video file]. Mill Valley, CA: Psychotherapy.n