Assignment: The Imminent Threat
Assignment: The Imminent Threat
This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO 1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
- CO 2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (PO 4 & 8)
- CO 4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and significance related to evidence-based practice. (PO 4 & 8)
- CO 5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (PO 7 & 8)
Application and implications for practice come from the interpretation of meaning from research findings. Communicating and using research evidence is an expectation of a BSN graduate.
- Select and describe one of the conclusions from the required article from the Week 6 assignment that you found interesting and applicable to practice. Describe how you would apply the evidence to improve nursing practice. Explain your answer.
- Discuss ways you would disseminate research-based evidence; how would you share with your peers? Include your thoughts on why it is important for you to be involved in communicating and applying nursing research evidence.
In our first thread this week, we will be applying evidence to practice. Discuss one of the conclusions from the week 6 assignment articles. Would you apply evidence that was found? If the topic is outside of your area of practice, do you think that the conclusions present sound evidence?
We will also discuss how you might share evidence with your peers. Consider the information you found in the Week 3 Assignment. How would you share the research findings with your coworkers or administration?
I look forward to your posts! Paula
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 28, 29, 30
- Minimum of 1 primary source
- Minimum of 4 scholarly sources (in addition to the textbook)
Optional Resources to Explore
Feel free to review the library guide for scholarly sources and videos at the following link:
- Link (website): History Library Guide (Links to an external site.)
The purposes of each case study assignment include the following:
- To hone your abilities to research using scholarly sources
- To advance critical thinking and writing skills
- To compile a response to the prompts provided
- To explore a historical topic and make connections to change over time
Pick one (1) of the following topics. Then, address the corresponding questions/prompts for your selected topic. Use at least one (1) documented example of the corresponding primary source in your writing.
Option 1: McCarthyism and Anti-Communist Campaigns
The Cold War brought about an irrational fear of communism and communist activities in the United States. As we are learning this week, one of the most vocal instigators of this paranoia was Senator Joseph McCarthy. McCarthy delivered a speech about the imminent threat of communism on February 9, 1950. Perform a search on the internet and locate and read Joseph McCarthy’s speech given in Wheeling, West Virginia on February 9, 1950. Copy and paste the following keywords into your Google search bar: “Joseph McCarthy, Wheeling, West Virginia.” The speech is also referred to as “Enemies from Within.”